The CHIME Certified Healthcare CIO (CHCIO) program is the first certification program exclusively for CIOs and IT executives in the healthcare industry.
A CHCIO demonstrates the commitment, knowledge and experience required to master the core skills inherent to successful healthcare CIOs and IT executives. CHIME members who have been in a healthcare CIO or equivalent position for at least three years and want to enhance their professional stature are eligible to become certified.
Becoming a CHCIO makes it easy for you to distinguish yourself as a leader within the healthcare IT industry. The CHCIO Program is the first healthcare industry credential developed for CIOs by CIOs. By enrolling in the CHCIO Program, you can earn the distinction of CHCIO, recognizing you for your knowledge and experience as a leader in healthcare IT.
Who is Eligible to participate in the CHCIO program?
To participate in the CHCIO program an individual must be a current CHIME member in good standing. Once an individual meets the requirements of membership and becomes a member of CHIME they are eligible to enter the CHCIO program.
CHCIO Candidate Requirements
To enroll in the CHCIO Program, applicants must:
- Be a CHIME provider/payer member
- Complete a short application to determine eligibility
- Possess a baccalaureate degree or be enrolled in a baccalaureate program
- Complete the program enrollment form with program enrollment fee (program enrollment includes; CHCIO application, study materials, practice exam and exam fee).
Program enrollment is active for 12 months.
The CHCIO Exam will need to be completed within those 12 months.
The CHCIO examination consists of 125 multiple choice questions, including scenario-based and independent questions. The examination will be taken without the aid of study guides or other resources. The exam must be completed within 2.5 hours. The CHCIO examination is offered at CHIME in-person events and through our online testing center.
Remote Testing: Testing in the convenience of your office or home office is available through CHIME University.
Exam Study Materials
Upon enrollment into the CHCIO program you will receive a link to the CHCIO exam study materials. These materials include the CHCIO reading materials divided by domain, CHCIO practice exams with rationales and the CHCIO blueprint.
CHCIO certification status requirements:
- Successfully pass the Certified Healthcare CIO (CHCIO) examination
- Have minimum three years of professional experience in a healthcare CIO or equivalent role within the past six years*
- Complete *25 qualifying Continuing Education Units (CEUs) within the 24 months prior or 12 months after enrolling in the program (see CEU tab for additional information)
- Minimum half (12.5) coming from CHIME related events
- Attest to uphold the CHIME Professional Standards of Conduct
To maintain/renew your CHCIO & CHCIO-Eligible status:
- Complete 45 hours of Continuing Education Units (CEUs), of which 50% must be CHIME activities*+. These 45 CEU hours must be completed over your 3 year credential renewal cycle.
- Submit renewal/maintenance fee of $199
- Adhere to the CHIME Professional Standards of Conduct
- *CHIME membership is required for CHCIO-Eligible status
*In lieu of submitting CEUs, one may sit for the CHCIO exam. If you have completed at least 80% of your CEUs within three years, you may apply for a six-month extension to complete the remaining credits.