The CHIME Certified Healthcare CIO International Program
CHIME members working outside North America are invited to enroll in the International CHCIO program. International CHCIO is the only global professional accreditation of seniority and experience in health IT leadership.
Developed by CIOs to measure candidate’s understanding and application of health IT leadership skills, CHCIO is a world-renowned professional benchmark. We are proud to see CHIME members with the CHCIO accreditation working in many of the world’s leading healthcare organizations.
Eligible members who enter the program receive CHCIO study materials, access to a practice exam and, when they are ready, an invitation to sit the exam at a local test center or with an online proctor. After successfully challenging the International CHCIO examination, CHIME members can use the post-nominal letters CHCIO for three years.
CHIME members working in countries with a CHIME Chapter are invited to enter the CHCIO program through their Chapter organisation.
Who is eligible to participate in the CHCIO International program?
To participate in the CHCIO International program an individual must be a current CHIME International Member in good standing. Once an individual meets the requirements of membership and becomes a member of CHIME they are eligible to enter the CHCIO program.
CHCIO Candidate Requirements
To enroll in the CHCIO program, applicants must:
- Be a CHIME International member
- Possess a baccalaureate degree- or be enrolled in a baccalaureate program (this requirement varies by region and country)
- Complete the program enrollment form with program enrollment fee of $649 (This fee includes; CHCIO application, study materials, practice exam and exam)
The CHCIO program enrollment is active for one year. This is to ensure the most recent information is collected in the candidate’s record and that the candidate is using the most up to date study materials to prepare for and take the exam.
In the event a program enrollment expires, there is a re-enrollment fee of $99.
CHCIO EXAM & RESOURCES
The CHCIO International examination consists of 125 multiple choice questions, including scenario-based and independent questions. The examination will be taken without the aid of study guides or other resources. The exam must be completed within 2.5 hours. The CHCIO examination is offered at CHIME in-person events in the United States AND through our online testing center.
Remote testing in the convenience of your office or home office is available through CHIME University.
Exam Study Materials
Upon enrollment into the CHCIO program you will receive a link to the CHCIO exam study materials. These materials include the CHCIO reading materials divided by domain, a CHCIO practice exam and the CHCIO blueprint.
CHCIO certification status requirements
- Successfully pass the Certified Healthcare CIO (CHCIO) International examination
- Have minimum three years of professional experience in a healthcare CIO or equivalent role within the past six years
- Complete 25 qualifying Continuing Education Units (CEUs) within the 24 months prior or 12 months after enrolling in the program
- Attest to uphold the CHIME Professional Standards of Conduct
To maintain/renew your CHCIO & CHCIO-Eligible status:
- Continue your CHIME membership
- Complete 25 hours of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) with a minimum of ten credits per year, of which 50% must be CHIME activities**+
- Submit renewal/maintenance fee of $199
- Adhere to the CHIME Professional Standards of Conduct
- In lieu of submitting CEUs, may sit for the CHCIO Exam
** If you have completed at least 80% of your CEUs within three years, you may apply for a six-month extension to complete the remaining credits.
+CHCIOs can retain the CHCIO credential should they leave the CIO role and are therefore not be able to maintain their membership. To keep their credential current, they would need to earn 25 CEUs. The requirement that half of the CEUs need to be from CHIME activities would be waived since they would no longer be eligible to attend CHIME events. The same does not apply to those with a CHCIO-Eligible status.